Covering your holiday home or second home all year round, whether it is used by you or let to others.

Holiday homes can be difficult to cover under standard insurance policies. Adler Insurance Group have developed a package of non-standard insurance products to cover your holiday home in many eventualities. Unlike standard insurance, our policies can cater for when the property is left unoccupied for long periods of time or if you are looking to rent it out when you are not there.

As a ‘specialist home’ insurance broker, we provide a tailored service that offers a full range of holiday home insurance products for people who own properties which are not their main residence. Cover is available for commercial holiday homes or just family and friends and we can usually offer cover for European holiday homes as well as UK. Contents cover can also be offered as part of a combined holiday home insurance package or on its own.

Features typically include:
  • Cost of temporary accommodation and loss of pre-booked rental income following loss or damage to your buildings
  • £5 million property owner’s liability
  • Personal effects contained in your home included within your contents cover
  • Use when let to family, friends and others
  • Accidental damage cover for your buildings and contents while let (as long as proof of a signed rental agreement can be provided)
  • Cover under your contents insurance for replacement locks if your keys are lost or stolen
  • Cover of up to £500 for personal effects contained in the home and £100 for money included within your contents cover
  • Discounts available for excesses of £250 or £500
Typical exclusions:
  • The first £100 of every claim (standard excess), except for an escape of water claim where the excess is £500 and a subsidence and landslip claim where you would need to pay the first £1,000.
  • Accidental damage cover is not provided when the accommodation has been sub-let.
  • Cover is not available for earthquakes in Greece and Italy.
  • We currently don’t cover subsidence, heave and landslip in Italy, Greece, Southern Cyprus, Bulgaria and Southern Ireland.
  • When the holiday home is unoccupied, cover is not available for escape of water unless certain conditions are met.

These are just some of the key exclusions/limitations, full details will be found in policy wordings.

What does ‘new for old’ mean?

It means that the item referred to will be replaced for its current value without a deduction for wear, tear or age.

Do I need to specify any valuables?

We would recommend that you check your main household policy to see if it covers items outside of your permanent residence. This cover is often referred to as ‘all risks’. If you keep any items permanently in your holiday home and they exceed the single article limit of £3,000, then you will need to specify them on the policy schedule.

Do I have accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover is available to the policyholder and family members for both buildings and contents.

What if my property is left unoccupied for long periods of time?

Make sure you check the insurance-the holiday homes policy does allow for some unoccupancy, subject to terms.

How much do I have to pay in the event of a claim?

Our policies usually state that you need to pay the first £100 of any claim, apart from escape of water where you need to pay the first £500 of any claim and subsidence and landslip where you need to pay the first £1,000 of any claim. If you have arranged a different excess fee with us, you will need to pay that amount. Excess fees may vary depending on products and circumstances.

Want to insure more than one holiday property?

We offer insurance for one or more holiday homes. This  includes homes that are in the United Kingdom or overseas. Please call us to discuss your requirements.

Does the policy include liability cover?

Usually cover up to £5 million of protection for both property and public liability is included in your holiday home insurance policy.

Is fire and theft included in my holiday home insurance policy?

Yes, this is one of the risks which your policy covers as standard.

If I am sub-letting my property out as a holiday home, will I be covered?

Absolutely. Adler Insurance Brokers specialise in holiday letting insurance as well as holiday home insurance. Contact us for more information.

How much should I insure my holiday home for?

For your buildings you need to take into consideration not only the cost of rebuilding the main property, but also any outbuildings, swimming pools, boundary walls etc. The value should include solicitors’ and surveyors’ fees as well as demolition costs. With your contents, you need to consider all household goods and personal property within your holiday home and how much you would have to pay to replace them as new. We make a deduction for wear and tear for clothing and linen.

Does the policy include cover for heave, subsidence and landslip?

Yes, if your property is in the UK, Spain or Portugal. Unfortunately we can’t currently insure against this in other countries.

With Adler Insurance Brokers, you can be confident that, in the event of the worst happening, your claim will be handled by a dedicated claims team.

Simply contact our team using the details within your policy documents, or call them direct on 0121 764 7563. They will discuss your claim, guiding you through your next steps and t the whole process.

If a loss adjuster is required, we will appoint one on your behalf and, if your holiday home is abroad, we will appoint  specialist loss adjusters who know the laws and language local to your home.

Get a Quote

Explore Further