In the event that your home or property becomes unoccupied for an extended period of time, standard buildings insurance may not cover the property. Specialist unoccupied property or unoccupied home insurance can cover your property during these periods of vacancy, protecting you from loss, damage and much more.

This cover is ideal for unoccupied or empty properties undergoing renovation or refurbishment, awaiting probate, sale or occupation, or left vacant while the owner is at a second property, abroad, hospitalised or taken into care.

Adler Insurance Group can insure almost any property, from residential to commercial, even if it is not of standard construction. We are able to insure properties which are vacant for only a short period of time. We have flexible policies starting from 90 days which we can tailor to your needs. If there is a reason that your property may me vacant for a longer period, please contact us to discuss the options available.

Cover usually features:
  • Fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake
  • Smoke damage, vandalism, storm and flood, theft and attempted theft
  • Escape of water
With instant cover available over the phone, our unoccupied property insurance also includes:
  • Protection against vandalism
  • Cover for damage caused by water or subsidence
  • Contents cover up to £20,000
  • Theft from garages and outbuildings up to £500
  • Up to £2 million property owners liability

Cover whilst renovations are ongoing – including decorating, installing new plumbing, central heating, alterations to non-load-bearing walls, extensions and re-wiring.

Typical exclusions:
  • The first £250 of each and every claim (standard excess)
  • The first £1,000 of each and every claim for subsidence/heave/landslip claims
  • The first £1,000 of each and every claim for escape of water (unless the heating is left on, in which case the excess is increased to £2,500)
  • The property must be in a good state of repair
  • Properties should not be boarded up and should appear tidy from the outside
  • All properties must have key window locks and 5-lever mortise deadlocks
  • Major works e.g. extensions and structural repairs. Roofing can be considered for limited perils only
  • Damage caused by contractors (contractors should have their own insurance)

These are some of the key exclusions/limitations, full details will be found in policy wordings.

What if I only need to insure the property for a short period of time?

Our unoccupied home insurance policy is very flexible and we can insure for three, six, nine, and 12 months at a time. Selling the property or undergoing probate can be a lengthy process which is why we are flexible.

Why can’t I get standard buildings and contents cover for my unoccupied home?

Most providers will not insure properties which are left unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time, which is why you need to come to a specialist provider.

What if I work away and my property is left unoccupied for months at a time?

Your best option is to speak to one of our advisers on 0844 335 0371 and explain your circumstances, to make sure you get the right level of cover.

Can I still arrange insurance even though the property is being renovated?

Yes you can. Call us on 0844 335 0371 to discuss your needs in more detail.

I have some items of furniture in the unoccupied property – are these covered?

We can offer cover on contents up to £15,000, so your furniture will be covered as long as the value does not exceed this amount.

Does this policy include property owner liability insurance?

Yes. Our policy automatically provides employer liability cover of up to £2 million.

My current insurer won’t cover me – can I arrange insurance ASAP?

Yes. We can arrange instant cover. You can do this over the phone or online.

How much should I insure my unoccupied property for?

For your buildings you need to take into consideration not only the cost of rebuilding the main property, but also any outbuildings, swimming pools, boundary walls etc. The value should include solicitor and surveyor fees and demolition costs. With your contents you need to consider all household goods and personal property within your unoccupied property and how much you would have to pay to replace them as new. We make a deduction for wear and tear for clothing and linen.

With Adler Insurance, you can be confident that, in the event of the worst happening, your claim will be handled effectively by a dedicated claims team.

Simply contact our team using the details within your policy documents, or call them direct on 0121 764 7563. They discuss your claim, guiding you through your next steps and  the whole process.

Get a Quote

Explore Further