Green Cards – Driving Abroad Following Brexit

Whilst the UK officially left the European Union at 11pm BST on Friday 31 January 2020 , a “transition period” followed, which ended at 11pm GMT on 31 December 2020. During the transition period, arrangements for driving in Europe remained the same as they were prior to Brexit, but motorists driving in the EU from 1st January 2021 onwards need to be aware of changes that now apply in relation to the need for “Green Cards” to be carried.

The Green Card is an international certificate of insurance proving visiting motorists have the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country visited. Government guidance states that anyone intending to drive a vehicle in the EU and EEA (including in Ireland) should plan to carry one. Further information on driving abroad can be found the website.

Should you require a Green Card, it is recommended that these are requested from your insurer at least six weeks before the intended date of travel.  To obtain a Green Card, clients of Adler Fairways can contact us as we may be able to arrange this on your behalf, or alternatively you can contact your insurer directly.










Adler Insurance

Content creator for the Adler Insurance Group.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *